Submissions for the 2018–19 Presidential Public Service Fellowship application closed on February 1, 2018. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
The 2018–19 Presidential Public Service Fellowship application includes the following components:
- Applicant contact information
- Personal statement
- Project proposal
- Two letters of recommendation (one of which must be from a Harvard faculty or staff member)
- Letter of sponsorship from the employer/organization with which the applicant has secured a public service position. Please provide this letter as soon as you have received it to help us complete the selection process. The letter must be submitted to receive the fellowship.
The application deadline for summer 2018 is February 1, 2018. Applicants will be notified of award decisions the first week in April 2018. Applicants should review the information provided here to learn more about eligibility, requirements, and selection criteria.
- Returning (degree-seeking) undergraduate, graduate, and professional School students are eligible to apply for this one-time award. Students who will graduate in May 2018 are not eligible to apply.
- Funds are available for summer service placements, internships, employment, or other projects. Research or thesis-related activities are not eligible for funding.
- The employment or project must take place within the United States.
- The length of the summer employment or project must be at least six weeks.
- A minimum commitment of 30 hours per week is required.
- Fellows are asked to fill out an entrance and exit survey that will be used in program assessment.
- An evaluation survey from the sponsoring organization is due to program administrators on October 1, 2018.
- A brief project update and five or more photographs are due to the program administrators during the summer.
- A reflection report of no less than 1,000 words is due to program administrators on September 1, 2018.
- On their return to Harvard in fall 2018, fellowship recipients are expected to act as ambassadors for the program and for public service more generally.
Selection of PPSF recipients is based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated leadership and effectiveness
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to public service
- Relationship of proposed project to student’s academic goals and broader undergraduate, graduate, or professional School experience
- Relationship of proposed project to student’s evolving career interest
- Potential impact of proposed job or project